Saturday 8 November 2008

Alder Hey - First Admission



He was transferred by ambulance on the Saturday and settled in on ward L1 (burns and plastics). All the right people came to see him as soon as they could and he was scheduled for his first laser treatment on the Tuesday. On the Monday night I noticed blood was on his gauzes. As ever, I am always concerned when he bleeds as he can lose a lot of blood without it coming through the bandage and I asked for this to be removed. My suspicions were correct and the gauzes had soaked up lots of blood. This was late on and results of a previous blood test also showed he needed another transfusion. They couldn't get a line in anywhere and had to call a matron to do this. This is the only person who has not let me be with him when something was being done to him, I've seen everything, nothing would make me turn into 'hysterical mum'. Instead I had to go outside when they put a line into his scalp. They kept the few strands of hair they had to shave off for me. He had more fluids and another blood transfusion in theatre when he had his laser treatment.




The pictures here show the birthmark as he arrived at AH and with the cap on his head protecting the line there. From what I understand since, speaking to other nurses etc, putting lines into the scalp is quite controversial these days and not favoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment